Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Spiritual Master, Spirit "Animal", and My Gurus

I have been thinking lately on people who I consider to be important to me outside of my family and friends. People who I could consider my life guides. I recently heard an episode from the podcast, Happier, and the hosts, Gretchen and Elizabeth, were discussing their spirtual masters. These are people who show great qualities that people want to imitate. I do have a spiritual master, but I also have a spirit "animal" and a pair of gurus. :-)


1. My spiritual master is Eleanor Roosevelt. I have been fascinated with her since I was a teenager and have grown to love her as I have gotten older. She has shown me how to fight for what you believe in, never give up, and try to make a difference in the world. A favorite quote of hers is "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." I am about to start reading her book, You Learn By Living. In my classroom, I have a picture of her holding the Universal Declaration of Human Rights next to my United Nations flag (I coach Model UN.) It reminds me of what she stands for.


2. My spirit "animal" is Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation. She embodies my personality, my drive, my craziness, my loyalty to others, etc. I try to live by the mantra of being the Leslie Knope of anything you do. She is my spirit animal and my patronus. She is probably the most awesome, caring, and dedicated character I have grown attached to, and I am the same age as her in season one.

3. My life gurus are Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. These two funny women make me proud to be a funny, odd, and strong person. I was a complete dork growing up and still am, but I proudly own it. I have read both of their memoirs, and they have helped my in different ways. They definitely offer me life advice. They show how you cannot let others put you down, especially if you are talented and care. Plus, they are funny as hell!


via GIPHY



No comments:

Post a Comment